Wednesday, January 7, 2009

3. What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?

Getting along with another group of people or culture isn’t always a very easy thing to do for most of the people. However, when I was in the State of Texas for about three years, the place felt like if it was my actual home even though I was the only yellow kid there. The main reason why I moved there was to be educated in an English speaking country.

During the first few days of school, I had some kids tease me because I was different than the rest of them. However after a few weeks later I made American friends who were mostly Caucasians. As my friends and I became really close within a year, one of my best friend Matthew Renfro let me in to live with his family. Before I moved in with them I lived in a Korean family and the reason why I had to move was because they were moving into a another state. At that time of the year I was around 100% American culture. Unfortunately, after about a year later, his unhealthy grandmother had to move in with them, because she was getting way too old. By the time when my full year of 8th grade ended, I had another friend who let me in, named Justin Harrison. In the very beginning of 9th grade, they moved into a new house in which I got to live in. His parents were married under a very young age, and therefore they had a lot of fun things to do like four wheelers, hot tub, and a ping pong table.

Even though I lived in the country side of Texas, where no Asian culture existed, it was the best experience I’ve ever had in my life. As I learned from the experiences, I noticed that I never, ever rejected new things that were happening to me in that culture. Also I tried to understand the culture, but did not forget about who I truly was and belonged to.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Tremendous post! Your life has been so interesting. Keep writing.Mrs.Mc.