Friday, January 16, 2009

What factors of your native culture have informed your religious views? Explain the impact of these factors

In fact, Korea was one of the latest countries to be acquainted with Christianity, however; today, it’s an Asian country with the most Christians. Although, I was born in the State of Oregon with a US citizenship, Korean culture has always been more comfortable for me. Talking about Korean culture, my parents also grew up with a Korean background and when I first met them, they were already Christians. As I was growing up, they educated me well enough to go to Church every Sunday, to read the Bible, and to pray. Therefore I became a Christian at a young age, but then I didn’t manage myself enough to really get to know who God is. All I had was the basic information about Christianity that most of the students learn in Bible class.

After all, going to Church was simply a habit for me and the moment when I moved to the states to be educated in an English speaking country, I didn’t even care if I was a Christian or not and the problem grew worse until this point of my life. Even though I knew what was right and wrong for me, I wasn’t strong enough to control myself against all the temptations. In addition, as a teenager, living away from my parents was another reason why I failed keep in control of my life.

As my life of faith weakened, I began to ask myself questions like, does God really exist? Or is the Bible true? Then I noticed that I wasn’t a true believer. Also, I just pretend to be a believer, only when I was in deep trouble.

Am I a believer or not? I’m still confused, because if I’m not a Christian, why would I look for God’s help when I’m mentally or physically unstable? I sometimes wonder if he’s just an imaginary figure for me to depend on, because I’m not strong enough to depend on myself.

Even so, my wish for this year is to actually communicate with God and make sure that he really exists. Then hopefully, my goal is to grow stronger faith in him throughout my life.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

I know that God will reveal Himself to you. Your parents have taught you well and I know that you have a brilliant mind... use it to find the voice of God. Mrs.Mc.